Almond Rhubarb Cobbler Recipe
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Toasted slivered almonds, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 cup sugar and water to a boil. Add the rhubarb. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Combine flour and remaining sugar; stir into rhubarb mixture. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in butter and almonds. Reduce heat to low; stir occasionally or until butter is melted.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly. Whisk egg and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Pour hot rhubarb mixture into a 2-qt. shallow baking dish. Drop topping into six mounds over the rhubarb mixture.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, sprinkle cobbler with almonds after removing from oven. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 427 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Almond Rhubarb Cobbler
"This was quick to put together and used ingredients on hand, so it was perfect when I wanted to use my frozen rhubarb in something. I didn't care for the added crunch of the almonds. They felt out of place in the dessert and will probably leave them out next time."