Almond Puff Pastries
My husband comes from a family of almond growers, so I use almonds often in my baking. These puff pastries have a crisp topping and creamy filling.
—Barbara Harrison, Monte Sereno, California
18 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Confectioners' sugar
- Unfold pastry sheets onto a lightly floured surface. Cut each sheet
- into nine 3-in. squares. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets;
- set aside. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk and water; brush over
- pastry squares. In another bowl, beat egg white; add almonds and
- sugar. Spread over each square.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until well puffed and browned.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Split pastries in half horizontally. Fill with whipped cream; replace
- tops. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately. Yield:
- 18 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 302 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.