These tender squares from Pam Mroz of Rochester, Minnesota have a sweet frosting and generous sprinkling of poppy seeds throughout. "The bars are a snap to whip up, plus they use ingredients I usually have on hand," she notes.
- 3 eggs
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter flavoring or additional vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, milk, oil, extracts and butter flavoring. Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt; add to the egg mixture and mix just until combined. Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost bars. Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Almond Poppy Seed Bars in Quick Cooking March/April 2001
Reviews for Almond Poppy Seed Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review