These tender squares from Pam Mroz of Rochester, Minnesota have a sweet frosting and generous sprinkling of poppy seeds throughout. "The bars are a snap to whip up, plus they use ingredients I usually have on hand," she notes.
- 3 eggs
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter flavoring or additional vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, milk, oil, extracts and butter flavoring. Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt; add to the egg mixture and mix just until combined. Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost bars. Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Almond Poppy Seed Bars in Quick Cooking March/April 2001
Reviews for Almond Poppy Seed Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 22, 2013
"great. didn't even need the frosting."
Reviewed Jul. 28, 2013
"I made 1/3 of the recipe into 6 cupcakes. Loved them!Used the Stevia/sugar baking blend at the half-the-sugar-called-for level; use white-wheat flour; baked the cupcakes for 25 minutes; added just a drop of almond extract in the frosting.The cupcake was not terribly sweet, but with the frosting they're quite wonderful!"