Almond Pistachio Baklava
I discovered this traditional recipe at a Greek cultural event and often get requests for it. The original version called for walnuts, but I substituted almonds and pistachios with yummy results.
44 ServingsPrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 3-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups unsalted pistachios
- 3 cups unsalted unblanched almonds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-3/4 cups butter, melted
- 3 packages (16 ounces each, 14-inch x 9-inch sheet size) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- In a small saucepan, bring 2-3/4 cups sugar, water, honey and lemon
- juice to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Cool.
- In a food processor, combine pistachios and almonds; cover and
- process until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the
- cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining sugar; set aside. Brush a 15-in. x
- 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll one
- package of phyllo dough; cut stack into a 10-1/2-in. x 9-in.
- rectangle. Repeat with remaining phyllo. Discard scraps.
- Line bottom of prepared pan with two sheets of phyllo dough (sheets
- will overlap slightly). Brush with butter. Repeat layers 14 times.
- (Keep dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel until ready