Almond Pistachio Baklava Recipe
- 3-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups unsalted pistachios
- 3 cups unsalted unblanched almonds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-3/4 cups butter, melted
- 3 packages (16 ounces each, 14-inch x 9-inch sheet size) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring 2-3/4 cups sugar, water, honey and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Cool.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. In a food processor, combine pistachios and almonds; cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining sugar; set aside. Brush a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll one package of phyllo dough; cut stack into a 10-1/2x9-in. rectangle. Repeat with remaining phyllo. Discard scraps.
- 3. Line bottom of prepared pan with two sheets of phyllo dough (sheets will overlap slightly). Brush with butter. Repeat layers 14 times. (Keep dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel until ready to use to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with a third of the nut mixture.
- 4. Top with 15 layers of buttered phyllo dough and a third of the nut mixture; repeat layers. Top with remaining phyllo dough, buttering each layer.
- 5. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-1/2-in. diamond shapes. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Place pan on a wire rack. Slowly pour cooled sugar syrup over baklava. Cover and let stand overnight. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Almond Pistachio Baklava
"While this recipe is not the quickest to make the results are AWESOME! I made this for work in a little "contest" we had for our open house, everyone loved it and I won! I followed the recipe exactly and it came out perfect! Will definitely be adding this to my personal cookbook at home."