Almond Peach Gelato Recipe
This rich and delicious dessert is especially outstanding when served with warm peaches or peach pie.—Rita Kitsteiner, Tucson, Arizona
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min.+ chilling Process: 20 min. + freezing YIELD:12 servings
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 to 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened sliced peaches, thawed and chopped
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1. In a small heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in confectioners' sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Add lemon peel. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir in extract. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the peaches, cream and almonds. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 3. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
1/2 cup equals 132 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 29 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC