This rich and delicious dessert is especially outstanding when served with warm peaches or peach pie.—Rita Kitsteiner, Tucson, Arizona
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 to 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened sliced peaches, thawed and chopped
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in confectioners' sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Add lemon peel. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in extract. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the peaches, cream and almonds. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
Originally published as Almond Peach Gelato in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p180
Reviews for Almond Peach Gelato
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review