Almond-Orange Lettuce Salad Recipe
“Candied almonds make this delicious salad extra special,” writes Marilyn Anderson from Hudsonville, Michigan. “Pay attention when you’re preparing the almonds so they don’t burn.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 20 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 package (3 ounces) slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 snack-size cups (4 ounces each) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1. For dressing, combine the first six ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake until sugar is dissolved. In a heavy skillet, saute almonds in butter until toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar; cook and stir until sugar is melted, about 3 minutes. Spread on foil to cool; break apart.
- 2. On two salad plates, arrange the greens, oranges and onions. Shake the dressing; drizzle over salads. Sprinkle with sugared almonds. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 563 calories, 40 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 362 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC