“Candied almonds make this delicious salad extra special,” writes Marilyn Anderson from Hudsonville, Michigan. “Pay attention when you’re preparing the almonds so they don’t burn.”
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 package (3 ounces) slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 snack-size cups (4 ounces each) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 green onions, chopped
- For dressing, combine the first six ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake until sugar is dissolved. In a heavy skillet, saute almonds in butter until toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar; cook and stir until sugar is melted, about 3 minutes. Spread on foil to cool; break apart.
- On two salad plates, arrange the greens, oranges and onions. Shake the dressing; drizzle over salads. Sprinkle with sugared almonds. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Almond-Orange Lettuce Salad in Cooking for 2 Fall 2005, p10
Reviews for Almond-Orange Lettuce Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review