"This moist tender chicken with its crunchy nut coating and smooth sauce is one of my best recipes," raves Sharon Lebold of Bayfield, Ontario. "I sometimes cook it in my electric skillet because it easily holds all the chicken."
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Place 1/2 cup flour, eggs and almonds in separate shallow bowls. Roll chicken in flour, then dip in eggs and roll in almonds. In a large skillet cook chicken over medium-high heat in 2 tablespoons butter for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reaches 170°. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute onion in remaining butter until tender. In a small bowl, combine the milk, poultry seasoning and remaining flour. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the orange marmalade, orange juice and peel, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Almond Orange Chicken in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p56
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Almond Orange Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review