- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons boiling water
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Additional dried lavender flowers, optional
- Grease a 10-in. fluted tube pan and sprinkle with sugar; set aside. Place 1/2 cup sugar, almonds and 1 tablespoon lavender in a food processor; cover and process until finely ground.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy; beat in almond mixture until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and half-and-half. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For drizzle, in a small bowl, combine water and remaining lavender. Cover and steep for 5 minutes. Strain, discarding lavender. In another small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough infused water to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over cake. Garnish with additional lavender if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Almond Lavender Cake
"Moist cake, but I thought the lavender flavor was very strong and overpowered."
"Loved this cake, it was a big hit! The lavender flavor was very nice and not too overpowering. I lessened the total sugar called for to 1 1/2 cup in favor of my diabetic father and it was great. Am going to print out a copy and give it to our neighbor who loved it too.P.S. I found my jar of lavender in the food section of Marshalls!"
"I am a bit disappointed by the recipe. It was a very moist cake, but other than that it was way too sweet and I couldn't notice the lavender flavor."
"I fed this to a room of extremely skeptical martial artists and they devoured it all!"
"I really just have a question. Could this be made using lavender oil instead of flowers?"
"This cake was moist and the lavender didn't overwhelm the flavor. just a hint. I can't wait for my friends to try it. Texture was perfect"
"I have made this cake a couple of times now and it is always a hit! It has a very light floral flavor, but not over powering. It is hard to find lavender in stores, so last year I dried some that I picked from my father-in-laws garden. It turned out wonderful! This is the perfect cake for spring and stands out from the usual spring desserts!"
"I made this for my grandmothers birthday. It was a big hit. It has a very refreshing flavor. You can really taste the lavendar when you breathe in. It's wonderful for spring and summer! I love this cake!"