My mother-in-law used to send these wonderful cookies in her special "care" packages to our family. We could hardly wait to open the box and dig in!
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups ground almonds
- 1 cup jelly or jam of your choice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in almonds. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-in. round cookie cutter. Repeat with remaining dough, using a 2-in. doughnut cutter so the center is out of each cookie.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon jelly over the bottom of the solid cookies; place cookies with cutout center over jelly. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Almond Jelly Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p98
Reviews for Almond Jelly Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review