- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon plus 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 whole almond
- APRICOT GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Combine almond and 1 tablespoon flour; sprinkle into a well-greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and 1 cup sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon juice, peel and extracts. Combine the baking powder, salt, baking soda and remaining flour; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Beat in the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff. Fold into batter. Pour into prepared pan. Insert whole almond into batter.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- For glaze, melt preserves in a microwave or saucepan; strain. Add orange juice; drizzle over warm cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Almond Good Luck Cake
Sort By :
"Oh, my gosh, did my family love this cake when I made it yesterday!! When our kids were little, I made a similar cake for Epiphany every year. It was always exciting to see who got the almond. The one who did got to wear a crown for the day. The flavor of this cake is much better than the one I used to make. My husband said this is his new "favorite" cake! So light, & the citrus flavor is delicious. I added 1/2 tsp more of the lemon peel because we like lemon cakes, but other than that, I didn't change a thing. Will be making it often during the year! Thank you, Vivian, for sharing this delicious recipe!"
"Awesome cake! I use a lemon flavored glaze instead of apricot. This will be our new tradition along with baking traditional Irish soda bread to go with our meal."
"This is a winner!"
"Hi Viv,Sounds like a cake I should makeMarty @ KCM"