- 1 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, brown sugar and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in ginger.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in remaining sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with the bottom of a glass. Press an almond slice into the center of each cookie.
- Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Almond Ginger Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p167
Reviews for Almond Ginger Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review