Almond Fudge Cake Recipe
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- RASPBERRY SAUCE:
- 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 12 fresh raspberries
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, milk, water, applesauce and extract until well blended. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into egg white mixture until blended (batter will be thin).
- 2. Pour into a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with chips. Place pan on a baking sheet.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 30 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Cool completely.
- 4. For sauce, puree the raspberries in a blender; strain to remove seeds. Stir in sugar and lemon juice. Spoon sauce onto dessert plates; top with cake wedges. Garnish each with 1 tablespoon whipped topping and a raspberry. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 241 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Almond Fudge Cake
"Loved it! This recipe is so decadent, yet light. I made Fresh Strawberry Sauce from Taste of Home instead of raspberry sauce as I don't care for raspberries. Nice presentation."
"I love this recipe! Flagged in my Taste of Home Annual Recipes (2003 issue) this is one of my favorite go-to chocolate desserts! I sometimes add 2 tsp of raspberry liqueur - just to make it special!"
"I enjoyed this cake, but my children didn't care for it because of the almond flavor. I think if I put vanilla or chocolate extract, they would've loved it. I really enjoyed it, especially because it was low in calories, but I really like almond. So next time I'm going to make it with vanilla or chocolate extract for my children :) Everyone else that ate it just loved it. I did use a regular 9" cake pan instead of the spring form and it worked without any problems."
"I've made this before and enjoyed it. Tonight when I made it, i inadvertantly ended up letting the egg whites warm to room temp and the cake was even fluffier than when I've made it in the past. Also, if you want to save some time on the raspberry sauce and don't mind seeds, you can blend the raspberries, lemon juice and sugar all together."
"This is a chocoholic's dream. It tastes so rich and decadent and makes a beautiful presentation with the raspberry sauce."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.