Almond-Filled Butterhorns Recipe
I add potato flakes to make my butterhorns moist and tender. The rolls complement any meal wonderfully with just the right sweetness to make them a coffee hour favorite. Remember to hide a few for yourself!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:36 servings
- 3-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/8 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12-1/2 ounces) almond cake and pastry filling
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. Add the eggs, potato flakes, butter, sugar, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 12-in. circle; spread each with filling. Cut each circle into 12 wedges.
- 4. Roll up wedges from the wide end and place point side down 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form a crescent. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 202 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 156 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC