Almond-Filled Breakfast Rolls Recipe
A sweet, buttery almond filling is rolled into these homespun treats. Topped with more nuts, they're an irresistible addition to any breakfast spread.—Ann Nace, Perkasie, Pennsylvania
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm heavy whipping cream (110° to 115°)
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- ALMOND FILLING:
- 3/4 cup almond cake and pastry filling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the remaining sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add cream and egg yolks; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients; mix well. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. For filling, in a small bowl, beat almond paste and butter until smooth. Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. square. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style; pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 14 rolls. Place rolls, cut-side up, on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes (dough will not double).
- 3. Brush with egg; sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 28 rolls.
1 roll equals 185 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 115 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC