- flour mixture; stir to form a stiff dough. Divide in half; cover and
- refrigerate for 3 hours.
- In a small bowl, beat the almond paste, brown sugar and butter until
- smooth. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough
- into a 15-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Spread filling down center third of
- dough to within 1/2 in of edges. Beat egg and water; brush over
- edges of dough.
- Fold sides over filling; seal seam and edges. Place seam side down on
- greased baking sheets. Cut five to six small slits in top. Cover and
- let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool
- For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to
- achieve desired consistency; drizzle over coffee cakes. Sprinkle
- with almonds. Yield: 2 coffee cakes (10-12 serving each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 156 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.