Almond Custard Recipe
From Lyons, Georgia, field editor Suzanne McKinley notes, "I like to fix this rich custard on Saturday to serve with Sunday dinner. It gets rave reviews!"
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling YIELD:8-10 servings
- 3-1/3 cups butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. In a double boiler, combine 3 cups milk and sugar; add egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes or until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon and a thermometer reads 160°.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine gelatin and remaining milk; let stand for 1 minute. heat on low until gelatin is dissolved. Stir into custard. Chill until partially set.
- 3. Stir in the extracts. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into a shallow serving dish. Refrigerate until set, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 883 calories, 84 g fat (50 g saturated fat), 356 mg cholesterol, 640 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC