From Lyons, Georgia, field editor Suzanne McKinley notes, "I like to fix this rich custard on Saturday to serve with Sunday dinner. It gets rave reviews!"
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 3-1/3 cups butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Sliced Almonds, toasted
- In a double boiler, combine 3 cups milk and sugar; add egg yolks.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes or until mixture coats
- the back of a metal spoon and a thermometer reads 160°.
- In a saucepan, combine gelatin and remaining milk; let stand for 1
- minute. heat on low until gelatin is dissolved. Stir into custard.
- Chill until partially set.
- Stir in the extracts. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into a shallow
- serving dish. Refrigerate until set, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with
- almonds before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 883 calories, 84 g fat (50 g saturated fat), 356 mg cholesterol, 640 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.