Almond Custard Recipe
From Lyons, Georgia, field editor Suzanne McKinley notes, "I like to fix this rich custard on Saturday to serve with Sunday dinner. It gets rave reviews!"
- 3-1/3 cups butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. In a double boiler, combine 3 cups milk and sugar; add egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes or until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon and a thermometer reads 160°.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine gelatin and remaining milk; let stand for 1 minute. heat on low until gelatin is dissolved. Stir into custard. Chill until partially set.
- 3. Stir in the extracts. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into a shallow serving dish. Refrigerate until set, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 883 calories, 84 g fat (50 g saturated fat), 356 mg cholesterol, 640 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Almond Custard
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC