Almond Custard Fondue Recipe
“I’ve been serving this smooth, rich dessert fondue for nearly 40 years. It’s a wonderful way to bring friends and family together at the end of a fine meal. Grapes, pineapple chunks and pound cake cubes also make delightful dippers.”—Patricia Swart, Galloway, New Jersey
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/4 teaspoons almond extract
- Cubed brownies, cake, miniature waffles and/or cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and extract. Keep warm. Serve with brownies, cake, waffles and/or cookies. Yield: 2 cups.
1/4 cup (calculated without dippers) equals 165 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC