- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/4 teaspoons almond extract
- Prepared brownie and angel food cake cubes, thawed mini waffles, pretzel rods and mini Oreo cookies
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in cream until smooth. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat; stir in butter and extract. Keep warm. Serve with brownie and cake cubes, mini-waffles, pretzel rods and cookies for dipping. Yield: 2 cups.
Reviews for Almond Custard Fondue
"My absolute favorite fondue recipe. We use this every year for Valentines Day rather than fixing a big dessert. The kids really look forward to it!"
"Had our first ever fondue night and this was our dessert. It was outstanding. Paired especially well with brownies, shortbread, pound cake, bing cherries and pineapple."
"This is really good and a nice change from the standard chocolate fondue. I made it for Valentines day and served it with marshmallows, graham crackers, sponge cake, brownie bites, bananas and strawberries. Bananas and brownie bites were my favorite dippers. I also think it would be an excellent cake filling once it has cooled in the fridge. Yum!"