Almond Crunch Recipe
Once you start eating this taste-tempting Passover treat, you may not be able to stop! Matzo crackers are topped with buttery caramel, chocolate and slivered almonds...and then baked to perfection! —Sharalyn Zander Jacksonville, Alabama
- 4 to 6 unsalted saltine matzo crackers
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with foil; line the foil with parchment paper. Arrange crackers in pan; set aside.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over crackers.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Stir in almonds; spread over top. Cool for 1 hour.
- 4. Break into pieces. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1 pound.
1 serving (2 ounces) equals 517 calories, 36 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 329 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC