Once you start eating this taste-tempting Passover treat, you may not be able to stop! Matzo crackers are topped with buttery caramel, chocolate and slivered almonds...and then baked to perfection!
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 4 to 6 unsalted saltine matzo crackers
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup Diamond of California Slivered Almonds, toasted
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with foil; line the foil
- with parchment paper. Arrange crackers in pan; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in
- brown sugar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until
- sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over crackers.
- Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes (cover loosely with foil if top
- browns too quickly). Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Meanwhile,
- melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Stir in
- almonds; spread over top. Cool for 1 hour.
- Break into pieces. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or
- until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1 pound.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 ounces) equals 517 calories, 36 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 329 mg sodium,