- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Almond Cream Spritz
"Boy I hate when I misread instructions. I am sure they were thinking of cookies like almond sandies which have finely chopped almonds in the cookies."
"RedRain, you misread the recipe. DO NOT grind the almonds. They are to be finely chopped, NOT ground. After you press the dough onto the cookie sheet, THEN you sprinkle the CHOPPED almonds on top -- take a look at the picture. The flavor of almonds in the dough comes from the almond extract ONLY. This recipe is a good one.,"
"Oh-oh, looks like someone may have misread the recipe. The almonds do not go INTO the cookie dough. They are sprinkled ON TOP OF the "pressed" cookies. These cookies are scrumptious; try making them again--only this time add the finely chopped almonds AFTER the cookies have been pressed."
"These were wonderful. I'm not sure why the others mentioned problems with the almonds. They are not in the cookie batter. They are sprinkled over the cookies after they are pressed. I made some with the almonds sprinkled on top and some without, since I have a friend who can't eat nuts. They have a wonderful almond taste either way."
"Maybe I'm missing it, but where does it say to add the ground almonds to the dough? Aren't they just sprinkled on top AFTER the dough has gone through the cookie press? Glad I can read the instructions - I'll definitely try these - they sound delicious - but I'll actually FOLLOW the directions."
"Sound delicious and I will try this year. Wanted to point out to first couple reviewers that recipe does not call for almonds in the dough, just sprinkled on top."
"Fabulous recipe but please be sure the almonds are ground in your Cuisinart or similar gadget, as that is the way to ensure the almonds are finely ground enough to fit through cookie press easily. They are an essential ingredient in these cookies and they are also very good for you healthwise!"
"Almond cream spritz are the best. I don't add the almonds as they are a bit tough to get through the press; but this has the best taste!"
"Looks delicious and can't wait to try them"