Almond Cream Parfaits Recipe
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup shortbread cookie crumbs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 to 8 maraschino cherries
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch. Gradually add milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks; gradually add 1 cup hot milk mixture. Return all to pan. Bring to a boil; cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add butter and extract; mix well. Chill for 1 hour or until cool.
- 3. Add almonds. Pour into six to eight parfait glasses; sprinkle with cookie crumbs. In a bowl, beat cream and remaining sugar until soft peaks form. Spoon over parfaits. Chill. Just before serving, garnish with cherries. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 423 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 164 mg cholesterol, 93 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.