Almond Cranberry Tart Recipe
"Cranberries and currant jelly make a jewel-toned filling for the cookie-type crust of this dessert," notes field editor Billie Moss of El Sobrante, California.
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup red currant jelly
- Whipped cream and additional chopped almonds, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar, almonds and flour; cut in the butter until crumbly. Beat egg and vanilla; add to flour mixture and stir until moistened. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. Coat fingers with flour and press pastry mixture into the bottom and 1-1/2 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan. P;lace on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Meanwhile, soften gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Set aside. In a saucepan, combine the cranberries, jelly and remaining sugar. Cook over medium heat until berries pop. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved and cool. Pour into crust. Refrigerate at least 4 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and almonds if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 352 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 101 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC