- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- In a small bowl, cream the shortening, 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in remaining sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with the bottom of a glass. Press three almond slices into the center of each.
- Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Almond Cookies
Sort By :
"Love this recipe. A hit every time. I made some changes though. Instead of a cup of shortening, I used1/2 cup of butter and1/2cup of shortening. I also used 2 tsp of almond extract instead of one. So in love with this recipe that I used it also to cut out Christmas cookies. You can also melt chocolate and cover them. Delicious!"
"Very delicious! Light, not too sweet. Took me 12-13 mins to bake."
"Awesome! They needed more than 9 minutes in the oven, so I just kept watch until the bottoms turned golden brown. They have a nice crispy texture on the outside, and a creamy type texture on the inside. Fantastic. Remind me of the ones my mom used to make as a kid. This is my new recipe!"
"These cookies were easy to make and went well with an afternoon shower I hosted. My children helped make them and enjoyed how simple they were to make."
"This recipe was quick and easy!"