Almond Coffee Cake Recipe
“This cake is doubly delicious due to the white chocolate and cream cheese filling,” notes Mary Shivers, Ada, Oklahoma. “I've made it for social gatherings and as a homey snack on chilly mornings. One piece leads to another!”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup white baking chips
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15x9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and extract (filling will be soft). Spread down center of rectangle; sprinkle with chips. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips, about 1/2 in. from filling.
- 3. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Seal ends. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Brush with milk. Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 5. For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and extract. Stir in enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over coffee cake. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 382 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 339 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC