My mom was well-known for her delicious Kringle. She made it from memory and when she passed away, we didn’t have the recipe to carry-on this tradition. We searched through her recipes and we found what we believe was her original starting recipe. So that’s where we began. The dough remains the same, but I have adjusted the filling ingredients until it finally came out just right. Try this tender, flaky pastry with its almonds and coconut filling, and you’ll be hooked on it like us!—Deborah Richmond, Trabuco Canyon, California
Featured In: 17 Festive Christmas Brunch Ideas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 cups sliced almonds, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 teaspoons 2% milk
- Place flour in a large bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in sour cream. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in almonds and coconut.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion into a 12x10-in. rectangle. (Keep remaining dough refrigerated until ready to use.) Spread 1 cup filling lengthwise down the center. Fold in sides of pastry to meet in the center; pinch seam to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Transfer to two ungreased baking sheets. Bake 23-27 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over pastries. Yield: 4 kringles (9 slices each).
Originally published as Almond Coconut Kringles in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p46
Reviews for Almond Coconut Kringles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 29, 2016
"These are delicious and a hit anywhere I take them!"