Almond Coconut Flans Recipe
Individual desserts always make an impression at special occasion suppers and these flans are no exception. The almond and coconut flavor is awesome.—Melinda Winner, Gulfport, Mississippi
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:8 servings
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 3-1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons flaked coconut
- 1. In a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook 1 cup sugar until it begins to melt. Gently pull melted sugar to the center of the pan so sugar melts evenly. Cook, without stirring, until dark reddish-brown, 10-15 minutes. Quickly pour into eight ungreased 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups, tilting to coat bottoms. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around sides of saucepan. Remove from the heat. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, salt and remaining sugar. Stir 1 cup warm milk into egg mixture; return all to pan and mix well. Add extracts. Slowly pour into prepared dishes.
- 3. Place ramekins in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours.
- 4. Carefully, run a knife around edge of dishes to loosen; invert each dish onto a rimmed serving dish.
- 5. In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Drizzle over flans. Sprinkle with almonds and coconut. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 381 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 169 mg cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC