- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 3-1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons flaked coconut
- In a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook 1 cup sugar until it begins to melt. Gently pull melted sugar to the center of the pan so sugar melts evenly. Cook, without stirring, until dark reddish-brown, 10-15 minutes. Quickly pour into eight ungreased 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups, tilting to coat bottoms. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around sides of saucepan. Remove from the heat. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, salt and remaining sugar. Stir 1 cup warm milk into egg mixture; return all to pan and mix well. Add extracts. Slowly pour into prepared dishes.
- Place ramekins in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours.
- Carefully, run a knife around edge of dishes to loosen; invert each dish onto a rimmed serving dish.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Drizzle over flans. Sprinkle with almonds and coconut. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Almond Coconut Flans in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p172
Reviews for Almond Coconut Flans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 20, 2011
coconut flan is over the top; It has replaced cheesecake as my fav dessert.