Sprinkling sugar on top of this bread before baking gives it a delectable crunch. The flavor from almond extract pairs nicely with the coconut.
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in coconut.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Coconut Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p26
Reviews forAlmond Coconut Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 12, 2016
"I found that the bread was crumbly when I cut it. It was just okay. I won't make it again."
Reviewed May. 14, 2011
"Very good! (I did add some coconut extract & nuts)."