Almond Chicken Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup julienned carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in oil until no longer pink. Stir in the vegetables, broth and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice if desired. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium soy sauce and 1/3 cup almonds; calculated without rice) equals 331 calories, 15 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 843 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.