This is a full-flavored, all-in-one chicken casserole. It is one of my go-to recipes when serving a large group, since I know how much my friends and family enjoy it. This can be made up hours before it cooks. Just refrigerate and let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before baking.—Louise Warren Blades, Eizabeth City, North Carolina
- 4-1/2 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 8 cooked bacon strips, crumbled
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons sherry or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute mushrooms and onion in butter for 3-5 minutes or until onion is tender. Whisk in flour and nutmeg until blended. Add cream and broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Drain pasta; stir into cream sauce. Add the broccoli, chicken, tomatoes, bacon, 1/4 cup cheese and sherry. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds and remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Almond Chicken Pasta Bake in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p46
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Almond Chicken Pasta Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review