Almond Chicken and Rice
"The recipe for this almond-topped casserole has been in our family for years," notes Sharon Skildum of Maple Grove, Minnesota. "It's as comforting as chicken rice soup, so it's on our dinner table often."
More Rice Side Dish Recipes »
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Slivered Almonds, divided
- Place the rice in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with
- chicken. In a bowl, combine soup, milk, celery, onion, parsley,
- salt, pepper and 1/4 cup of almonds. Pour over chicken. Cover and
- bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining almonds.
- Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 786 calories, 38 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 165 mg cholesterol, 856 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 58 g protein.