"The recipe for this almond-topped casserole has been in our family for years," notes Sharon Skildum of Maple Grove, Minnesota. "It's as comforting as chicken rice soup, so it's on our dinner table often."
More Rice Side Dish Recipes »
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, divided
- Place the rice in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with chicken. In a bowl, combine soup, milk, celery, onion, parsley, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup of almonds. Pour over chicken. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Almond Chicken and Rice in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p47
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Almond Chicken and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review