Almond-Cherry Cake Brownies Recipe
After I purchased a huge jar of cherries at an outlet store, I realized I needed more recipe ideas for them. I started experimenting and came up with these fudgy bars. Happily, my family loves them!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/4 cups chocolate syrup
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and extract. Add chocolate syrup and flour; mix well. Stir in cherries, coconut and almonds.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and edges pull away from sides of pan. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a saucepan, combine butter and cocoa. Cook and stir until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat. Whisk in confectioners' sugar and extract. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spread over brownies. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 157 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC