Holiday guests will love the texture of this coffee cake featuring a Mascarpone cheese layer. With a sweet glaze and crunchy almonds on top, it’s hard to eat only one piece..—Kristi Overton, Meridian, Idaho
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 carton (8 ounces) Mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in the yeast mixture, milk and egg yolks. Add enough remaining flour until mixture forms a soft dough. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine the filling ingredients; set aside. Punch dough down. On a floured surface, roll into a 13-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Spread filling over dough to within 1 in. of edges.
- Starting with a long side, roll just to the center of the rectangle; repeat with remaining side, meeting in the middle.
- With scissors, cut from outside edges to two-thirds of the way toward center at 1-1/2 in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla; drizzle over coffee cake. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Originally published as Almond-Cheese Coffee Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p110
Reviews for Almond-Cheese Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review