Almond Butterhorns Recipe
These are very light and flavorful rolls. The filling gives them a wonderful taste.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 10 min. YIELD:36 servings
- 3-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. Add 1/4 cup sugar and butter; mix well. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and remaining sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add yeast mixture; beat until smooth. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Punch dough down; divide into thirds. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 12-in. circle. Melt 3 tablespoons butter; brush 1 tablespoon over each circle. In a bowl, combine the sugar, almonds, egg, extract, lemon peel and remaining butter; mix well. Spread a third over each circle of dough.
- 3. Cut each into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end; place point side down 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form a crescent.
- 4. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or until doubled. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; brush over warm rolls. Yield: 3 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC