Almond Butter-Stuffed Pears Recipe
- 2 cups unblanched whole almonds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups pear juice
- 3 cups sweet white wine, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 12 medium pears
- 1. Combine almonds and salt in a food processor. Cover and process until almonds are finely chopped. Add oil; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine pear juice, 1 cup wine, brown sugar and vanilla bean. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; remove vanilla bean. With a sharp knife, scrape bean to remove the seeds; stir into sauce. Discard bean. Return to a boil; cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 50-55 minutes or until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Slice 1 in. off the top of each pear and set aside. Core pears, leaving bottoms intact. Fill with reserved almond mixture. Place pears in a shallow roasting pan; replace tops. Add remaining wine. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until pears are tender, basting occasionally. Serve with sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 309 calories, 15g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 62mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 8g fiber), 6g protein .
Reviews for Almond Butter-Stuffed Pears
"We apologize for any confusion, but this recipe is correct as published. After the pears are filled with the almond mixture and placed in the roasting pan, the remaining wine is poured around the pears in the dish.As for a substitute for the wine, a sweet fruit juice or nectar should work OK.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"
"Is there anything that you could substitute for a sweet white wine?"
"I don't know about missing steps but I think these sound wonderful. Wonder if you could use pear nectar in place of the wine?"
"Just looking at the directions, it appears that there is a step or two missing."