A formal dinner calls for an elegant dessert like these stuffed pears. A mild nutty filling pairs well with the tender, sweet fruit.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups unblanched whole almonds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups pear juice
- 3 cups sweet white wine, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 12 medium pears
- Combine almonds and salt in a food processor. Cover and process until almonds are finely chopped. Add oil; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine pear juice, 1 cup wine, brown sugar and vanilla bean. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; remove vanilla bean. With a sharp knife, scrape bean to remove the seeds; stir into sauce. Discard bean. Return to a boil; cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 50-55 minutes or until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Slice 1 in. off the top of each pear and set aside. Core pears, leaving bottoms intact. Fill with reserved almond mixture. Place pears in a shallow roasting pan; replace tops. Add remaining wine. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until pears are tender, basting occasionally. Serve with sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Almond Butter-Stuffed Pears in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p117
Reviews for Almond Butter-Stuffed Pears
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review