Almond Brittle Torte Recipe
"I brought this impressive cake to my bridge club potluck - and now they want in every time we meet," says Marrian Storm from Athol, Idaho. "Homemade brittle makes it extra special."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. Line a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with foil; butter the foil and set aside. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, water, corn syrup and coffee granules. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 290°. Sprinkle with baking soda, stirring constantly (mixture will foam). Stir in the almonds. Pour into prepared pan. Cool completely.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks, water, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour and 3/4 cup sugar; add to egg yolk mixture and mix well. In a large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Fold into the batter. Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Remove cake from pan. Split horizontally into four layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with about 3/4 cup whipped cream. Break almond brittle into small pieces; sprinkle some over cream. Repeat layers twice. Spread remaining whipped cream over top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining brittle. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 478 calories, 25 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 178 mg cholesterol, 448 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC