- vanilla; mix well. Combine flour and 3/4 cup sugar; add to egg yolk
- mixture and mix well. In a large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of
- tartar and salt until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining sugar, 1
- tablespoon at a time. Fold into the batter. Pour into an ungreased
- 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until cake
- springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack.
- Remove cake from pan. Split horizontally into four layers. Place
- bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with about 3/4 cup whipped
- cream. Break almond brittle into small pieces; sprinkle some over
- cream. Repeat layers twice. Spread remaining whipped cream over top
- and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining brittle. Refrigerate
- until serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Editor's Note: Almond brittle will melt on the whipped cream and form a syrup.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 478 calories, 25 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 178 mg cholesterol, 448 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.