I played with a recipe from my mom, and the result has been popular with all of our customers at the Washington House in Sellersville.—Deb Mathie, Sellersville, Pennsylvania
- 6 croissants
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup almond paste, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- STRAWBERRY CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- Cut croissants into 1/2-in. pieces; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sugar and extracts. Pour over croissants; let stand for 10 minutes. Dot with almond paste; sprinkle with almonds (dish will be full).
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir sugar with a wooden spoon until sugar has melted and turned a deep amber color, about 20 minutes.
- Add 1 cup cream (mixture will bubble). Stir in remaining cream; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until caramelized sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in strawberries. Serve with bread pudding. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Almond Bread Pudding in Taste of Home December/January 2000, p51
Reviews for Almond Bread Pudding
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review