Almond Biscotti Recipe
"I've learned to bake a double batch of these crisp dunking cookies, because one batch goes too fast!" notes Mrs. H. Michaelson of St. Charles, Illinois.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:42 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in almonds.
- 2. Line a baking sheet with foil and grease the foil. Divide dough in half; shape each portion into two 12-in. x 3-in. rectangles on foil. Brush with milk; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Lift foil with rectangles onto a wire rack; cool for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 300°.
- 4. Transfer rectangles to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 1/2-in. slices. Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets.
- 5. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn and bake 10 minutes longer or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 79 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 49 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC