- 21-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Fold into thirds, starting with a short
- side. Repeat, flouring surface as needed. (Do not chill dough
- between each rolling and folding.) Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours
- or until firm.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat egg white until foamy. Gradually
- add confectioners' sugar and almond paste; beat until smooth. Cut
- dough in half widthwise. Roll each portion into a 12-in. square; cut
- each square into three 12-in. x 4-in. strips. Spread about 2
- tablespoons filling down center of each strip. Fold long edges
- together; seal edges and ends. Cut into three pieces.
- Place on greased baking sheets with folded edge facing away from you.
- With scissors, cut strips four times to within 1/2 in. of folded
- edge; separate slightly. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Lightly beat water and remaining egg; brush over dough. Sprinkle with
- sugar and almonds. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until golden
- brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 352 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 207 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.