Almond Apricot Bars
Apricot jam provides the fruit flavor in this small pan of sweet dessert bars shared by Olga Wolkosky of Richmond, British Columbia. "They freeze well and are always a hit," she relates. "They're also good with seedless raspberry jam instead."
18 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2 cups white baking chips, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup apricot jam
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a microwave, melt 1 cup chips; stir
- until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- melted chips and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. Spread half of
- the batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake 15-20
- minutes or until golden brown. Spread with jam.
- Stir remaining chips into remaining batter. Drop by tablespoonfuls
- over jam; carefully spread over top. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake
- 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares; cut squares in half. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 250 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 81 mg sodium,