Almond "Feta" with Herb Oil Recipe
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Assorted crackers
- 1. Rinse almonds in cold water. Place in a large bowl; add water to cover by 3 in. Cover and let stand overnight.
- 2. Drain and rinse almonds, discarding liquid. Transfer to a food processor. Add 1/2 cup water, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons oil, garlic and salt; cover and process for 5-6 minutes or until pureed.
- 3. Line a large strainer with four layers of cheesecloth and place over a large bowl. Pour almond mixture into prepared strainer; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Squeeze out any liquid; remove cheesecloth and discard liquid from bowl. Transfer ball to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; flatten slightly into a 6-in. circle.
- 5. Bake at 200° for 35-40 minutes or until firm. Cool. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 6. In a small skillet, heat the thyme, rosemary and remaining oil over medium heat for 2 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Drizzle over almond mixture. Serve with crackers. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
2 tablespoons (calculated without crackers: 122 calories, 12g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Almond "Feta" with Herb Oil
"This was surprisingly good! Mine didn't really need to drain at all. I think I used more almonds than called for so that might have something to do with it. I made it for a party and it was a hit. It was delicious on pretzel chips."
"@Poots123 -- There's no feta cheese in it! This is like feta in texture and taste, but has no dairy, so it's great for those with lactose intolerance or dairy allergies who miss cheese."
"In reading the recipe, there isn't any mention of the feta cheese or how much to use. Can you please supply the entire recipe? Sounds great otherwise! Thanks"
"vegan, vegetarian and carnivores all raved about this. it is super easy, just takes advanced planning. hands on is seconds. give it a try for something different and better for you than cheese and crackers!"