All-Purpose Meat Sauce
Meet the Cook: Experimenting with different herbs and spices led to this sauce...my husband does not like bland food! I now make it for him and our three children - 5, 3 and 22 months - at least once a week. Marc says it's even better the next day.
-Sonja Fontaine, Winnipeg, Manitoba
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch each dried thyme, tarragon and ground cinnamon
- Hot pepper sauce and cayenne pepper to taste
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook the beef and garlic until beef
- is browned; drain. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Simmer,
- uncovered, for 30 minutes or until sauce is as thick as desired,
- stirring occasionally. Serve over pasta or rice, or use for making
- lasagna, pizza, chili dogs, tacos or sloppy joes. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 142 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 721 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.