All-Purpose Meat Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch each dried thyme, tarragon and ground cinnamon
- Hot pepper sauce and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1. In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook the beef and garlic until beef is browned; drain. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until sauce is as thick as desired, stirring occasionally. Serve over pasta or rice, or use for making lasagna, pizza, chili dogs, tacos or sloppy joes. Yield: 4 cups.
1/2 cup: 142 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 721mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for All-Purpose Meat Sauce
"We found this recipe a couple of years ago and have used it many times. My daughter just asked for it again tonight. We use about 1 tsp of cayenne pepper. The cinnamon really adds a great flavor. Thank you for one of our favorite recipes!"
"I have made this several times. One of our faves. I ALWAYS double the recipe because it very versatile. The cinnamon and hot sauce give it a unique flavor. Love this!"
"My husband is Italian and doesn't like bland food either. I also created my own meat sauce based on one that his Italian Aunt had made from Italy. It's almost identical to this one! It's FABULOUS! With our 5 children there are never any leftovers at the end of the night. I'll have to try it with cinnamon and hot peppers too."
"Added molasses and red pepper."
"I made this for my family, I'm vegetarian they aren't. My nine year old Son ask for extra sauce. Tonight everyone had seconds. Thanks for a great recipe, I will make this again."
"I love this so much I use it in Spaghetti and Lasagna!!"
"a little spice"
"Amazing sauce, easy to prepare. I put mine in the crock pot to simmer for a couple of hours. Will make again."
"We don't like bland food either, so we loved this recipe. I added some chopped, fresh green pepper. My husband doesn't do pasta, so I added some cumin and chili powder and he loved it as chili. I ate it on pasta and thought it was great! It is a little sweet for me, so I might skip the sugar next time. Other than that, I won't change a thing. There were no leftovers!"