All-Purpose Meat Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch each dried thyme, tarragon and ground cinnamon
- Hot pepper sauce and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1. In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook the beef and garlic until beef is browned; drain. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until sauce is as thick as desired, stirring occasionally. Serve over pasta or rice, or use for making lasagna, pizza, chili dogs, tacos or sloppy joes. Yield: 4 cups.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 142 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 721 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.