All-In-One Egg Casserole Recipe
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- SCRAMBLED EGGS:
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 English muffins, split, toasted and lightly buttered
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside; discard all but 2 tablespoons of drippings. Saute mushrooms and onions in drippings until tender; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; cook until bubbly. Gradually stir in milk and cheese; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in the bacon, mushrooms and onions; remove from the heat and set aside.
- 3. For scrambled eggs, beat the eggs, milk, pepper and salt; pour into a greased skillet. Cook and stir gently until eggs are set. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 4. Cut English muffin halves in half again. Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover with half of cheese sauce. Spoon eggs over all; top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with parsley.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 664 calories, 49 g fat (24 g saturated fat), 376 mg cholesterol, 1,044 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Reviews for All-In-One Egg Casserole
"I made half this recipe for two of us and it is very good. The sauce tasted a little floury and was really thick but overall a good breakfast recipe. I added some diced red pepper and used more mushrooms than called for. Instead of parsley I topped with chopped tomatoes. Also, I used reduced fat sharp cheddar. I put the muffins on the bottom of the dish, half the sauce, the eggs, then the bacon and veggies, rest of the sauce and topped with tomatoes. I used reduced fat cheese and skim milk."
"Really? Almost everyone asked if you cook the bacon first... that is the first thing the recipe says to do. This sounds so yummy, can't wait to try it!"
"Do you cook the bacon? wat bout the bacon? it says at the beggining of this recipe COOK BACON TILL CRISP!!! thats to the ppl that kept askin bout the bacon"
"Absolutely delicious!! My husband and I made this for Easter brunch this year. It was easy, quick and very good."
"Egg Beaters, turkey bacon, and low-fat cheese would lower the fat content too. It sounds wonderfully delicious! Gotta try this one!"
"Do you fry bacon mushrooms & onions before adding to cheese sauce????"
"Do you see the nutrition on this? 49 g. fat per piece! Wow! I would definitely try to cut that down by using fewer egg yolks, lower fat bacon and cheese. That's more than a day's amount of fat in one serving!"
"kdlupe - you can always check on the sites that allow you to scale recipes for the serving sizes - like allrecipes dot com."
"I REALLY NEED RECIPES FOR BREAKFAST EGGS FOR 50+ PEOPLE!! CAN ANYONE HELP ME? KDLUPE@LOCALNET.COM"
"I made something similar this morning and I diced and cooked my bacon crisp first and then added it to the rest of the ingredients. "
"do you cook the bacon first for this recipe?"
"do you cook the bacon first?"