- 1 cup dried red beans
- 7 cups water, divided
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Sort beans and rinse in cold water. Place beans in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add 4 cups water; cover and let stand overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to slow cooker; add the ham hocks, onion, garlic, cumin and remaining water. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove ham hocks; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones. Finely chop meat and return to slow cooker; discard bones. Stir in the tomato, pepper and salt; cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until pepper is tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for All-Day Red Beans & Rice
Sort By :
The best ever
This was pretty good! Jimmy said that kielbasa would really be good. I said next time I made it - and there will be a next time - I would make a few more kicks because I like it spicier!!
Good, but needs more flavoring. The hamhocks had less than a TBS of real 'meat'; mostly just fat and gristle. Perhaps a hambone would work better. My husband and I never add extra salt to our food, but we both had to add both salt and pepper to this. Hearty and satisfying so worth trying again!
This came out really, really well.
We loved this recipe! It is so easy to make and very tasty. I did not have a fresh tomato so I used can diced tomatoe without the juice. We did add hot sauce to spice it up some. This was even better for leftovers the next day. This is a must to try!!