All-Day Red Beans & Rice Recipe
My family loves New Orleans-style cooking, so I make this authentic dish often. Being a busy workingwoman, I appreciate how simple it is. And its smoky ham flavor is scrumptious. —Celinda Dahlgren, Napa CA
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + soaking Cook: 8-1/2 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 1 cup dried red beans
- 7 cups water, divided
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. Sort beans and rinse in cold water. Place beans in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add 4 cups water; cover and let stand overnight.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to slow cooker; add the ham hocks, onion, garlic, cumin and remaining water. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until beans are tender.
- 3. Remove ham hocks; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones. Finely chop meat and return to slow cooker; discard bones. Stir in the tomato, pepper and salt; cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until pepper is tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup beans with 2/3 cup rice equals 297 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 441 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC